Sunday, June 8, 2008

Speak Chinese - Opinions on Laowai - Page 10 - From Beijing Chinese School.com > Studying, Working and Living in China > Living in China

Opinions on Laowai
Home New Posts

Login:    Pass:   Log in or register for standard view and full access.

Page 10 of 10 First < 89 10

Yiwan -

I think it's wrong to say Laowai to your face. It's pretty much like saying Chinese to address me
when I have a name or title or whatever. And yes kids, especially those of x-generation are way
too spoiled. Their parents have gone through all the hardship during the cultural revolution
period therefore are so determined to give their kids the best, especially when they only have one.

Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!

About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here

jonaspony -

Quote:

Also I can respect Miffy's desire to "Help the homeland" I think it's a bit misplaced. I mean, I
also came to China thinking I would very much like to help but found that most are way better off
than I am and the society is much more advanced than I thought before coming here.

Maybe you should look outside Shanghai. The pictures linked in this post are not atypical.

Perhaps Miffy's desire to "help the homeland" is not for everyone. Your choice to help KFC
increase their profit margin is commendable, but doesn't make Miffy's desire 'misplaced'.

aimei -

When I was living in Beijing, Chinese used to yell "laowai" at my boyfriend and me when we walked
down the street sometimes. We spoke a fair amount of Chinese by the time we left, but we could
never get our Chinese friends to tell us exactly what laowai meant. Can anyone give me a good
translation (I know I sound dumb for asking but I can't seem to find it in a dictionary either.)

Also, the term "guizi", does this just mean devil or something? I know basic Mandarin but I was
never taught insults by my teachers lol.

Lu -

Guizi means devil, yang guizi is foreign devil, hei guizi black devil, Riben guizi Japanese devil.
In some areas of China this is the word of choice for foreigners. Personally I object to being
called guizi/devil, to me (and many other foreigners) this is just plain insulting.

Laowai is a less insulting word for foreigner, and many Chinese will use it with no bad intentions
at all, while others will use it to mock. Some foreigners strongly object to it, some don't mind
at all. When people yell it at you when you're walking down the street, it's just plain rude.

The neutral term, accepted by virtually all foreigners, is waiguoren 外國人. More polite, if
you're talking to or about a specific foreigner, is 外國小姐 or 外國先生, or if the
person's foreignness is of no consequence whatsoever, just 小姐/先生.

aimei -

Thanks! Do you know what the tones on guizi? Is it gui4zi?

imron -

鬼子 - guǐzi

monto -

Laowai : 老外

In most cases, it means 外国人(foreigner) with mood ranging between joking and mocking. It is
considered impolite to say it before a foreigner you don't know. It quite normal to foreign friend.

Occasionally, 老外 means 外行(layman) as in:

你老外了吧,你。= 你外行了吧,你。

aimei -

Thanks, I was way off!

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Learn Chinese, Chinese Course, Learn mandarin, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing

No comments: